Friday, July 6, 2012

Chemo and the next best thing.

Mom and dad have taken a MUCH needed mini vacation down to stay with their friends Brenda and Gary at their house in Panama City Beach. I am so glad they were able to go and get that time together.

The oral chemo they have (had) dad on is called nexavar. He has been on it for about 2.5 weeks now. He did really well for the first week with little to no side effects. This last week has been really hard for him. He is extremely tired and has completely lost his appetite. I'll spare his modesty as he would probably hunt me down for having this blog in the first place, but let's just say some more unpleasant side effects were more aggravating than others. We got a call yesterday from the doctor who will be doing the radiation and he gave him the go ahead to stop taking the Nexavar. In one sense I was like "good! Now you'll feel better" and then I thought wait .. But now what?

All chemo medications are different and each one has different effects on different people. Some people can tolerate some medications and others cant. So basically they start you out on the medication proven to be most effective for your specific condition and then if you can't tolerate it you go to the next best thing.

For now, he will be able to feel good enough to enjoy things going on around him until we get to the next best thing.

I have to give him credit, he is a fighter. In the same situation I would probably not been as "bounce back-ish" as he was and immediately start fighting - and for that, I am glad everyone has different reactions! He is fighting and I believe it is 95% for Coleman and 5% for us. Which is fine with me ... JUST DO IT!

Prayers are continuously welcomed around here.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment